Umbilical Cord Tissue Screening
NMS Labs offers a qualitative forensic screen and confirmation that can test for up to 57 compounds across 13+ classes of drugs in an accurate, scientific manner.
- Bath Salts
- Muscle Relaxants
Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome (NAS) is caused when a baby is exposed to drugs during the course of pregnancy. It can present itself at birth in a variety of different ways, including, but not limited to:
- Tight muscle tone
- Excessive crying
- Poor feeding
- Rapid breathing
Determining if a fetus was exposed to drugs in utero and which specific substances may help to inform decisions about safe and appropriate treatment.
How does NAS Impact the Healthcare System?
- Research published in The New England Journal of Medicine found that from 2004-2013 the total percentage of NICU days nationwide that were attributed to the neonatal abstinence syndrome increased from 0.6% to 4.0%, with eight centers reporting that more than 20% of all NICU days were attributed to the care of these infants in 2013. The median length of stay increased from 13 days to 19 days.
- Research from JAMA found that from 2004 through 2013, the rate of NICU admissions for neonatal abstinence syndrome increased from 7 cases per 1000 admissions to 27 cases per 1000 admissions.
- A study published in Addiction found the average hospital stay for an infant with NAS is 3.5 times longer.
- A study published in Journal of Perinatology cited NAS represents $1.5 billion in additional hospital charges.
Advantages of Umbilical Cord Drug Testing:
- Critical to managing health of a fetus suspected of suffering from NAS — Determining if a fetus was exposed to drugs in utero and which specific substances may help to inform decisions about safe and appropriate treatment.
- More readily available than Meconium — Meconium testing can be unobtainable as it may take days to pass or may even pass in utero, rendering collection impossible. Multiple collections over time may be needed to have an adequate sample.
- Easy to collect — Using specimen collection kits, it takes just a couple of minutes to collect, prepare and send off a sample for testing.
- Fast turnaround — Turnaround for negative screens is 24 hours; positive screens will automatically be tested for confirmation, producing results within 72 hours.
Arrange a Consultation
NMS Labs proudly partners with healthcare providers and Clinical Research Organizations for Umbilical Cord tests. Please complete the information below and a representative will be in contact to discuss the needs of your organization.