As long as man has had laws, he has had a need to enforce them. As long as he has held court, he has had a need to find the truth. Never in this history has the use of science in pursuit of these goals been as great as it is today, nor has it been as advanced or as important. The pace of today's world is a maddening march of science and law, and it takes a certain type of expert to keep up and find the balance. NMS Labs has those kinds of experts.
For a complete list of Criminalistics Services offered by NMS Labs, click here.
Offering Novel Psychoactive Substances (NPS) Identifcation
(synthetic cannabinoids, bath salts
and other designer drugs).
The scope of drugs that NMS Labs
can test for in our Controlled
Substances and Pharmaceuticals
Panels are continually updated.
Select Tests Tailored for Crime Scene Insights
Some crimes take minutes to carry out. Some take seconds. But every crime can be solved. NMS Labs offers more than just analysis – it’s offering tools to help you break your case. In today’s investigations, the results have to be more than accurate; they have to be timely. To the criminalists at NMS Labs, it’s not just a case... it’s your case. These include:
- Blood Identification
- Controlled Substances (including synthetic cannabinoids, bath salts and other novel psychoactive substances)
- Salvinorin A Identification
- DNA Analysis (full profile)
- DNA Analysis (reference)
- Dosage Form
- General Unknown Testing
Forensic serology is the branch of forensic science that identifies the type of bodily fluid present. To learn more about the serology testing available at NMS Labs call us at 1.866.522.2216
- Blood Identification
- Semen Identification
- Vaginal Fluid Characterization
- Saliva Identification
- Urine Characterization
- Feces Characterization
Forensic DNA Testing
Frequently, DNA testing can be the single most important factor used by the courts to determine guilt or innocence. Similarly, other forensic analyses can provide the critical information in a criminal case, a product tampering incident, an accident or crime investigation or a civil trial.
NMS Labs utilizes a consultative approach to handling cases that promotes a high level of client-to-scientist interaction. This ensures clients the best opportunity to understand and interpret the forensic serology and DNA findings. By performing the appropriate testing on the evidentiary material, the client can have a full understanding and interpretation of the physical evidence and its importance to each case.
NMS Labs uses the 13 core STR markers needed for compatibility with the CODIS system. Just as importantly, our scientists handle the most challenging cases while maintaining a strict chain of custody and confidentiality for all cases. NMS Labs’ forensic DNA analysis can be applied to:
- Identification of evidence to assist in the exoneration or conviction of a suspect involved in a homicide, burglary, assault/battery, sexual assault, or other criminal activity
- Matching donor DNA to drug screening test samples to resolve sample-switch allegations
- Matching donor DNA to a biological sample submitted for laboratory testing when a patient’s clinical presentation does not match the laboratory results
- Matching pathology slides or tissue samples to donor
NMS Labs has expanded its forensic DNA analytical capabilities to include Y-STRs. Y-STRs are short tandem repeats that are found only on the Y chromosome. As such, it is passed from father to son, with no affect from the mother. Thus, Y-STR analysis is useful when:
- There is highly disproportionate mixture of DNA, where an overwhelming amount of female DNA is "masking" a small trace of male DNA
- Dealing with cases of rape or incest that has resulted in a pregnancy, where Y-STR analysis of a male embryo's DNA can link a suspect
- There is a possible genetic link between a male suspect and a male kin
- Trying to establish familial relationships along paternal lines (i.e., descendancy from a male lineage)
Since there is no change from father to son, Y-STR analysis cannot be used to differentiate between father and son, between two sons from the same father, between grandfather and grandson, or any two individuals who share an unbroken paternal link.
- Forensic analysis in an investigation
- Identification of biological materials
- Product tampering investigations
- Assessment of physical evidence
Sources of DNA
- Body Fluids — Blood, urine, saliva, semen, vaginal secretions, perspiration, etc.
- Tissue — Skin cells, hair, bone, teeth, buccal cells, muscle, organs, fingernails, feces, etc.
- Others — Cigarette butts, drinking straws, toothpicks, toothbrushes, facial tissue, cotton swab, partially-eaten food, envelopes, drinking containers, etc.
Drug Chemistry Testing
"Forensic Chemistry" in the broadest sense refers to any analytical procedure performed utilizing traditional chemical principals and instrumentation in a forensic manner.
In Criminalistics, NMS Labs’ staff performs the identification and quantification of controlled substances, pharmaceutical preparations, and unknown substances. This testing is performed in a forensic manner utilizing two separate and distinct technologies whenever possible. NMS Labs has an extensive menu of methods that can be used in these forensic investigations including: HPLC, GC/MS, ICP/MS, FTIR, LC/MS and colorimetry.
NMS Labs Crime Lab is accredited by ASCLD/LAB-International (American Society of Crime Laboratory Directors/Laboratory Accreditation Board) ISO 17025 in the disciplines of DNA & serology and controlled substances. We diligently maintain and exceed the high standards set by ASCLD/LAB so that you can have the utmost confidence in your testing results.
Contact NMS Labs to help:
« Return to Forensic Services
- Identification of controlled substances that will withstand scrutiny through the legal system for both prosecution and defense
- Identification of poisons, drugs, and environmental toxins in food, beverages, pharmaceutical preparations, and other consumer goods
- Quality assurance projects to confirm accuracy of manufacturing processes